Wednesday, July 23, 2014

EDAD 536 Day 3 Reflection

I enjoy the idea of learning with a purpose (Flipped PD).  So many times, the hallway conversations after a professional development session circle around, “well, that was another huge waste…”, “why do they think we need to keep hearing this stuff…”, “when do they expect us to use this stuff…”, “I don’t have time to do one more thing…”.  But when the purpose is personal and the learner has the opportunity to work one-on-one with a coach, better learning and more valuable learning will take place.  It’s similar to “playing around” with the information and then discussing with another person to help learn (like during Sugata Mitra’s talk).

I see the importance of having a nice clear web page, inviting and interesting.  I understand that web pages are the “new” method in which to put your individual self out there like a resume.  Has any one started using or seeing these yet?  Are you seeing new candidates coming into your districts with this as a format?  Are you teaching students about this format in your business classes? (I don’t think we are, but maybe we should).


I get so excited about using these formats for communication and to help other people get excited about what I want to share… I could “fiddle” for days!

2 comments:

  1. Do a search on excellent school websites and you'll see some good samples and models. That's why I encourage people to seek professionals to do this work. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with "differentiated" prof. dev. being an important goal for schools. It takes a very creative and organized leader and leadership group to make prof. dev. worthwhile for everyone. It's been a fascinating topic in my IAL program because even after spending one whole class on this topic, it still appears to be elusive to so many. I find it very interesting that we have such clear language (rubrics) written for what good teaching is but yet the teachers and leadership are so confused about how to go about improving ourselves. Developing that autonomy that is supposed to be so important seems to begin with the "what" should I be doing?

    ReplyDelete